Friday, August 01, 2008

Feeling Forgotten



"Can a woman forget her nursing child, And not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet I will not forget you. (Isaiah 49:15)"




Can she indeed...this was my devotional scripture this morning. What strikes me about this scripture is the emphasis on the question, "Can a woman forget a nursing child". Obviously the question is rhetorical, but what blares at me from this verse is my apparent and opposing reality. Not only was I "forgotten" or neglected by my mother, but I was abandoned by her at age 16 as well.

The scripture attempts to draw a contrast between the innate bond between a mother and her child and the divine bond between the Father and His children. The verse concludes with the phrase, "I will not forget." The "I" in this verse referring to God, of course. Ironically, at the present moment I feel as though God is preoccupied and has lost sight of the sensitive needs in my life right now . I haven't been in contact with my mother for over 10 years, which begs the question: how can a mother become so preoccupied with other things that she forgets the needs of her child? I fear that my crises has caused me to wonder whether God has forgotten about me.

Needless to say, this imagery doesn't reassure me...at least not at the present moment. I just don't feel like I can claim the truth in this scripture at this point in my life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin