I think this would be the point in the popular 80's video game
where the announcer comes out and says, "Come on stand up and fight."**
**It's interesting to see how cultural stereotypes are so deeply embedded even in the video gaming culture:
(1) Doc Louis, Little Mac's trainer in "blackface";
(2) Glass Joe, the weakest most defenseless looking opponent from France;
(3) Piston Honda, who wears a head band much like Daniel from The Karate Kid;
(4) Don Flamenco, the effeminate boxer from Spain;
(5) Great Tiger, an Indian turban-wearing Sikh, who brings a tiger with him to the ring; and
(6) Soda Popinski, the Russian boxer, who always took a swig of "pop" from a jug of soda that bore an unmistakable resemblance to a liquor bottle, and who uttered phrases like, "I can't drive, so I'm gonna walk all over you."
As a kid the preponderance of such racially charged caricatures completely escaped me-- or did they?
Previous Post: Sadia Says the Darndest Things: Volume 2