Tuesday, March 13, 2012

35 Portraits at 35 in 254 Days

Portrait 1: Blind contour with Sharpie on paper

If you want to know all about Andy Warhol, just look at the surface of my paintings and films and me, and there I am. There’s nothing behind it. 

The quote above is from Andy Warhol.  He created many self-portraits.  Warhol said he was deeply superficial and that there was nothing behind his artwork.  Is that possible?

I don't know.  I think art can be so telling.  Sometimes a technique or collection can present a very thought-provoking self -image and reveal something unique about a subject.  

I turn 35 this year. Thirty-five seems like a big number.  For many, it's half a lifetime.  I've challenged myself to document this milestone through a series of self-portraits-- artistic renderings of myself. Thirty-five portraits at thirty- five.  


My biggest challenge will be my shrinking free time.  I'm not even sure I'll collect 35 portraits, but here are a few questions I hope to explore through this process:

  • What distinctive qualities make me "me"?
  •  How do I want people to see me?
  • How do I see myself?
  • How do I express different aspects of myself?
  • How do I reinvent myself for different purposes or times in life?
  • How do I change from day to day or month to month?
  • Who do I want to become?
Artists have many reasons for making portraits.  Here, I hope to preserve some memories, and to document my journey of self exploration.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin